Not the Forest Service

Not the French Foreign Legion… We're joining the service. The Foreign Service. Not quite Bond. Not quite "The Gay Diplomat." Probably more like "The Last Remake of Beau Geste." Come along for the ride. (Movie References deliberate and ubiquitous.)

Monday, February 19, 2007

So now we know...

Well, flag day, the day we find out where we've been assigned, has come and gone. Actually, a lot of things have come and gone, and I know I've not done well about keeping you all in the loop. So, I'm going to post a number of entries over the next few days, to try and catch you up.

Oh, and yes, we do know where I'm going and when, but there are details to be ironed out. I've been given a very challenging assignment in Conakry, Guinea. It's in what used to be part of French West Africa, although the French cut them off 50 years ago, and they've been pretty ignored ever since. Naturally, in such a vaccuum, they've had two Presidents-for-Life, who have done the usual thing in such a situation. So, last week, the unions in the country started rioting and the President declared martial law. The families of the Embassy Personnel were evacuated three days before flag day. I've been advised that "it will all settle down" before I'm due to leave in June, but there is a chance I won't get to take Fred with me.

I'll find out more this week. And I promise to post more soon.

7 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2007 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Robin;

    Conakry, well you've got to start somewhere. I'll be in DC the first week of March seeing some of the congressional delegation (asking for $)Maybe we can grab a coffee or something. Did Heidi ever show up ?

    Cordially,

    Craig POllitt
    cpollitt@nscd.org

     
  • At February 27, 2007 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOOK! look, everybody! look, look! robin POSTED something in her blog. really! she POSTED something. she SAYS she's going to post more, but, well, she's said that before....

     
  • At February 27, 2007 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    when i was a mere teenager (19 and graduating from college) i applied for the peace corps. and they offered me a posting in Togo (French West Africa) as a midwife. after a lot of deep thought, i turned it down. what a difference that would have made to my life!

     
  • At February 28, 2007 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Robin!

    It's wonderful to hear from you! Guinea- wow!

    Like MEM, I talked to the Peace Corps when I was in college. But in my case, they told me I didn't have any useful skills (they really wanted folks who knew something about farming). Well, I still don't have any useful skills.

    Keep on posting!

    J Yakura

     
  • At March 07, 2007 5:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Robin and Fred,

    This is the first time I accessed your site -- and what news you had! How is Washington? How are you two doing? The furthest east we'll get this year is Racine, WI for the Western Martial Arts Symposium in September.

    Therese's father passed away on Monday morning so she and Knut are in New Mexico for the rest of the week, helping her mom arrange everything. Therese is doing well because her dad's passing was somewhat expected, but it's always a surprise.

    Not much else for now.

    Have fun!

    Penny

     
  • At March 15, 2007 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gee Robin,

    It looks like the time we took to discuss that hell hole I was stuck in from 86-88 may actually pay off. Who knew?

    Post often so we can keep up with the two of you and your grand adventure.

    Karen and I hope that things stablize soon and Fred gets to accompany you (sorry for Fred though.)

    Love Karen and Erin

     
  • At May 01, 2007 7:02 PM, Blogger Bera said…

    Hey Robin! I just now got around to checking out your blogspot - happy May Day!

    How goes progress on the assignment in Conakry? It does sound really challenging.

    What would Fred do if he can't accompany you?

    Bera

     

Post a Comment

<< Home