Not the Forest Service

Not the French Foreign Legion… We're joining the service. The Foreign Service. Not quite Bond. Not quite "The Gay Diplomat." Probably more like "The Last Remake of Beau Geste." Come along for the ride. (Movie References deliberate and ubiquitous.)

Saturday, September 08, 2007

No Internet Access

Ok all, you probably think I've abandoned you all. It's not true, it's just that the internet access here is so bad that I can download and read your emails, but I have no bandwidth for uploading replies. I can't even send out a one-sentence message.

The internet situation may be fixed by November, but we're experiementing with the solution, so I'm not sure.

I want to let you know that I'm ok; in fact much better than the first month. Guinea is starting to grow on me (maybe literally...I smelled that Guinea smell the other day, and realized it was me!) I like my job, the people are wonderful, and Fred came back from his Medivac to London. (He's ok, it was an eye thing they took care of.)

I don't have email address at work, where I have access...and my job is about 70 hours a week still, so there's no time for me to even think about anything else until I'm so tired, I just have to go home to bed. I DO have a phone card though, and we can start trying to call folks late at night from work (although it would be mornings or daytime there with the time difference.) or on Saturdays.

Keep writing! I promise I read every word. Over and over again, in fact.

3 Comments:

  • At September 12, 2007 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    we miss you and are really glad to hear from you. have you thought of composing your blog entries off line and then shooting them to me to post? i'd be happy to do that, and happy to hear more about your daily life. what do you DO for 70 hours a week in the embassy? love you!

     
  • At November 03, 2007 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greetings from Boston! Hi Robin! Hi Fred! I second MEM's request; I'd love to hear what you do! If you can post photos of Guinea that would be super!

    Right now we're under a weather warning- rain and damaging winds for the afternoon, worse on the cape and the islands. So this has been a glorious day to read and work on calligraphy.

    So what is that Guinea smell? Burnt hydrocarbons? Wood smoke? Coal? People?

    Be well! We're all think of you and miss you!

    J

     
  • At March 15, 2008 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    I think I finally figured this out. We miss you and hope all is well. Will we see you (one or both) at Denvention? Our antique stray cat (came in 3 xmases ago) died in a seizure overnite, but at least he had two warm, well-fed years with us. All else is well. Al made it to the 3rd round in the Crown last month and had a lot of fun in Alienville (Roswell). Do good for yourselves, learn a lot, and come home sometime.

    Penny

     

Post a Comment

<< Home